7 Proven Strategies for Sticking to Your 2023 New Year’s Resolution Fitness Goals
The New Year is a time for new beginnings and a great time to set new goals, whether you want to lose weight, build your confidence, work on self-improvement, make lifestyle changes, quit smoking, work out at the gym four times a week, or just eat healthily; the list is truly endless and varies from person to person. Just be sure to focus on goals that set good intentions and get you to work toward specific goals that make a change in your life, for you. For many people, this includes setting fitness goals to get in shape and lead a healthier lifestyle. However, making your New Year’s resolutions stick can prove to be challenging for many people. With the right strategies and tools, you can work towards and achieve your fitness objectives and reap the benefits of a healthier body and mind. In this article, we'll go over seven proven strategies for sticking to your New Year's resolutions and fitness goals, including tips for setting realistic goals, tracking progress, staying motivated, and helping you become automatic in reaching your ultimate goal and feel positive about a fresh start.
- Set Realistic and Achievable Goals: The first step to achieving any fitness goal is to have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish, and the time frame required to reach those objectives. It's important to set realistic, attainable goals that you can work towards. For example, instead of setting a goal to lose 50 pounds in one month, aim for a more realistic goal of losing 2-3 pounds per week. Additionally, breaking down bigger goals into smaller chunks will help you stay motivated and focused on the result. This will in turn skyrocket the success rate of the goal you have set and help you to achieve it.
- Track Your Progress and Celebrate Every Success: Keeping track of your progress is essential for staying motivated. Use apps or online resources to monitor your progress and give feedback on any improvements needed. Celebrate every victory, no matter how small, and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment that will keep driving you forward. By tracking progress over time, you can measure improvement and stay on track to create long-lasting results. Some popular apps for tracking progress include Momentum, MyFitnessPal, FitBit, RescueTime, and CoachMePlus.
- Create a Detailed Plan with a Schedule and Deadlines: If you're serious about achieving your fitness goals, the best way to get there is by creating a detailed plan with schedules and deadlines. Having a structured plan in place will keep you motivated and on track for success. Use a workout schedule template or fitness plan template that provides an easy-to-follow framework for setting SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound) goals. Having a specific plan in place will ensure a much higher success rate over a year-long (or forever) objective.
- Break Down Daunting Tasks into Smaller, Achievable Steps: One of the main reasons people give up on their fitness goals is because they feel overwhelmed by the task at hand. Everyone will experience a setback or two, it is 100% normal to experience a misstep here and there. Remember to stay positive and don’t beat yourself up over this, be gentle, take a deep breath and you can then refocus and get back on track. It’s important to start small and listen to what the body needs. You shouldn’t jump into Thor’s workout on day one. By breaking down daunting tasks into smaller, less intimidating steps, you can make them more manageable and stay motivated. For example, instead of trying to run a marathon, start by training for a 5K and then gradually increase the distance. Breaking down long-term goals into smaller ones has been shown to significantly increase the success rate of goal completion.
- Find a Buddy or Accountability Partner: Having someone to share your progress with and hold you accountable can help you stay motivated and keep you focused. A workout buddy can help you stick to your goals and provide support and encouragement when needed. We tend to keep ourselves to a higher standard when our goals have been verbalized and are known by others. Making your goals and intentions known, it creates a sense of willpower and determination that may not be as prevalent without others knowing about it. The adage ‘two heads are better than one,’ applies in a slightly untraditional way in this situation. If two people share their goals they are more likely to complete them.
Reward Yourself for Success: Positive reinforcement is a powerful tool for motivating yourself. You want to incorporate a reward system for yourself, such as treating yourself to a massage or a new workout gear when you reach certain milestones or achieve your goals. (Visit https://www.
Rinoapparelco.comto see our newest athletic wear collection.) when you reach certain milestones or achieve your goals. What’s the point if you can’t have anything to look forward to in the short term? Small rewards along the way can pay big dividends over time without knocking you off track.
- Join a Support Group: Joining a support group of people with similar goals can help you stay encouraged and gain emotional support. Support groups can provide a sense of community and belonging and can also give you the opportunity to share your progress and get feedback from others. Don’t be scared to check out group fitness classes such as F45, spin classes, group HIIT workouts, etc. The sense of community within these places is very strong, after all, everyone there is there to improve themselves in some way!
By following these strategies, you can stay on track and achieve your fitness goals. Remember to be patient and consistent with your efforts, and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up. Keep in mind that progress takes time and effort, but with the right mindset and approach, you can achieve your goals. Now get out there and make 2023 your best year yet!